||This article relies largely or entirely upon a single source. (October 2011)|
Bellingshausen Station is a Russian (formerly Soviet) Antarctic station at Collins Harbour, on King George Island of the South Shetland Islands. It was one of the first research stations founded by the Soviet Antarctic Expedition in 1968. It is also the location of Trinity Church, the only permanently staffed Eastern Orthodox church in Antarctica.
The Antarctic Peninsula and its nearby islands are considered to have the mildest living conditions in Antarctica. The average temperature around the station in the coldest month (August) is -6.8°С (19.76°F), and +1.1°С (34°F) in February, the warmest. Russian polar residents have nicknamed the Bellingshausen Station "kurort" (Russian: курорт), which is a German loan word meaning "resort".
The station made an apperance during an episode of Syfy's Destination Truth when Josh Gates and his team visited th station when they were investigating nearby Deception Island for paranormal activity. They interviewed the scientists and were given a tour of the base.
- USAIT 2006
- United States Antarctic Inspection Team 2006: Report of Inspections under Article VII of the Antarctic Treaty and Article 14 of the Protocol on Environmental Protection. March 21, 2007 (Includes detailed description of this and some nearby stations)
- Official website Arctic and Antarctic Research Institute
- AARI Bellingshausen Station
- COMNAP Antarctic Facilities
- COMNAP Antarctic Facilities Map
- Bellingshausen Station Photos